for Electron Depth-Dose Distributions
in Multilayer Slab Absorbers
ABSTRACT OF THE CODE EDMULT 6.4
1. NAME AND TITLEEDMULT 6.4: Evaluates Electron Depth-Dose Distributions in Multilayer Slab Absorbers.
2. CONTRIBUTORSInstitute for Data Evaluation and Analysis, Sakai, Osaka, Japan; Research Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, Osaka Prefecture University, Sakai, Osaka Japan; Shanghai Applied Radiation Institute, Shanghai University, Jia Ding, Shanghai, China; Department of Radiation Oncology, Indiana University school of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
3. CODING LANGUAGE AND COMPUTERFORTRAN 77; any computers with a FORTRAN compiler.
4. NATURE OF PROBLEM SOLVEDEDMULT evaluates depth-dose distributions produced by plane-parallel electron beams normally incident on one- to six-layer slab absorbers.
5. METHOD OF SOLUTIONEDMULT is based on an analytic expression of the depth-dose curve in semi-infinite medium and a simple model of electron penetration through a multilayer absorber. The effect of the different medium beyond an interface is accounted for by the difference of backscattering, which is evaluated by considering the branching of electron beam into transmitted and backscattered components.
6. RESTRICTION OR LIMITATIONSEDMULT is valid for incident-electron energies from 0.1 to 20 MeV and for absorbers consisting of slabs of atomic numbers from about 4.75 (polyethylene) to 92. When the absorber consists of six layers, the last layer should be thick enough to stop essentially all the electrons incident on it. Treatment of the bremsstrahlung component of energy deposition in multilayer absorbers is yet incomplete.
7. TYPICAL RUNNING TIMEThe computation time required to evaluate a depth-dose profile consisting of 50 points for a six-layer absorber is less than a sec on most desk-top computers.
8. COMPUTER HARDWARE REQUIREMENTSEDMULT is operable on any desktop or laptop computers as well as on mainframe computers. The compiled program requires less than 300 K bites of RAM.
9. COMPUTER SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTSThe code is operable on any operating system with a FORTRAN compiler.
- Rinsuke Ito and Tatsuo Tabata, "Semi-empirical Code EDMULT for Depth-Dose Distributions of Electrons in Multilayer Slab Absorbers: Revisions and Applications," Radiation Center of Osaka Prefecture Technical Report No. 8 (November 1987) (This document refers to an old version, but the method of solution described is the same as the present version. "Sold out." New edition is under preparation.)
- T. Tabata, P. Andreo and K. Shinoda, "An algorithm for depth-dose curves of electrons fitted to Monte Carlo data." Radiat. Phys. Chem. Vol. 53, pp. 205-215 (1998) (This reference describes the new algorithm of one of the most important subprograms, EDEPOS, used in EDMULT.)
11. CONTENTS OF CODE PACKAGEIncluded are the referenced document and a floppy disk with the source, sample problem input and output.
12. DATE OF ABSTRACTJune 2002.
KEYWORDS:SLAB; ELECTRON; ONE-DIMENSION; ENERGY DEPOSITION; ANALYTIC MODEL